Friday 1 March 2013

Mother's day gift - cute and inexpensive

Hi there!!

My first post about something! Here we go...

Well, here in the UK it will be Mother's Day soon, we will be celebrating it on Sunday the 10th March.

Before setting out to buy my Mum's present I had a long hard think.

In an ideal world I would love to go out for a spa day (or weekend!) with my Mum, treat her to a nice meal in an expensive restaurant and buy her some beautiful jewellery. However, this is not an ideal world.

In reality I am on a super tight budget as we are a one income family and have been for over three years.

Also, I don't think that when my Mum thinks back to previous Mother's Days she remembers what gifts I bought her, more how she was made to feel on the day and what we did together.

With all that in mind I decided that I would set a low budget and aim to get a thoughtful, personal and pretty present for... wait for it... under £10!!

Now, my Mum is one of the WORST people to buy for. Honestly, she doesn't even know what she wants!

She does not wear perfume (unless it is a special occasion), she does not wear make up, she only wears certain types of (expensive) jewellery and even then she doesn't like necklaces or bracelets. I would never buy her chocolates as she has been on a diet for as long as I can remember and she would not thank me for buying her a box of temptation!

My Mum is a lovely Grandma to my three year old little girl... which does mean that we have exhausted every kind of personalised 'photo' present... she has a number of photo mugs, calendars, etc, etc already!!

So, you begin to understand the problem I have buying or making anything for my Mum!!

I love the idea of the gifts sets that most shops do i.e. a mug with chocolates in but I'll be damned if I am going to pay £20 for £5 worth of stuff!

So... I made my own version...




I bought a white wicker candle holder from Asda (Walmart) for £5 and some Angora Blend super soft socks in pretty pastel colours for £6 (also from Asda) and I rolled the socks so they look a little bit like rose buds (if you squint!!) and there is a bit of the sock pattern showing through the heart shaped hole of the basket.

This is a great present for my Mum as she loves socks, especially in these kind of colours. Also, the wicker candle holder can be used for candles, potpourri, or any other kind of decoration.

I am also inviting my Mum to spend the day with us and I will be cooking a nice roast lunch for us all.

At the risk of sounding a bit smug, I think I have done well, I only went £1 over 'budget' and I think Mum will love this pretty yet practical gift.

What are your plans for Mother's Day?
Do you have any homemade gift ideas? Do you have any photos to share?
I would love to hear from you :-)

Rachel xx
Check out my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RachelReviewsAndMuse
Follow me on twitter? Come say 'hi!' to @rachmarshall
Or check out my pictures on Intagram :-) AllNaturalAspirations

No comments:

Post a Comment