Sunday 21 April 2013

My Natural Journey - How did it all start?

Hi all,

Well... I am not sure how to start this as there isn't a a specific date where I decided to make lots of huge changes all in one go. A few little things have changed over the years and then about a month ago I made a decision to avoid chemicals wherever possible. This is still something that is on-going for me and I am learning as I go.

Probably the very first thing that surprised me and was the first step in my changes was actually the birth of my daughter.

Before I was pregnant I was convinced that I would want all the drugs in the world while giving birth. I have an EXTREMELY low pain threshold (it's quite ridiculous how low) and absolutely no staying power... I used to give up the second anything got difficult. However, when I was pregnant I followed all the food and drink guidelines to the letter, being even more careful then you 'have' to be.

I also found that the more I researched the birth process the more it became clear to me that a birth with less intervention is likely to be faster and smoother. Of course, I know that this is not always true and that intervention is required sometimes, of course the end goal should always be a healthy mother and baby, not some idealistic 'natural' birth that you can wear as a badge of honour.

I was very lucky with my labour and birth. All went smoothly, quickly and I managed to have the natural birth I wanted with no intervention or 'drugs'. I know this is not possible for everyone and I am not suggesting that your birth is 'less' than mine if it was different. I 100% understand that each woman and birth is different and would never lessen the achievement of bringing a healthy child into the world, whatever the means.

Sorry, this seems to have turned into a maternity blog! But, essentially what I am trying to say is that this is where the initial seed was planted. I had always thought that traditional medicine was unquestionably best for us. But, from the birth of my daughter onwards I have started to question that and look at other options. If my body and mind could do something that amazing without traditional medical help what else could be possible?

More recently, I found some videos on YouTube for natural remedies for skin and hair care. The beautiful women were using natural oils, fruit, vegetables, yogurts, honey, etc to look after their skin and hair... and they looked amazing! I wanted to give it a try so I started using the Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) and using pure coconut oil as my main moisturiser.

Another motivator is my health. I have always suffered from headaches but since the birth of my daughter I have found myself suffering more and more. I am at the point now where I have a headache more often than not. Also, I am prone to migraines. These have intensified in number and increased in frequency since my daughter was born. My headaches are so frequent that I can't take painkillers everytime I have one, I would never stop popping pills! So I've reached the point now where I want to look at a natural, holistic way to address this, I want to try and get some normality!

I will go into more detail in the next blog, with information about what I am doing and what new things I am using. I hope you will enjoy this and find it useful in some way.

Rach xx

Check out my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RachelReviewsAndMuse
Follow me on twitter? Come say 'hi!' to @rachmarshall
Or check out my pictures on Intagram :-) AllNaturalAspirations

No comments:

Post a Comment